Teaching rests is easy. Sure, students might confuse minim and semibreve (half and whole) rests, but that’s not difficult to fix.
What can be difficult is to actually get them to follow through on the rests. When teaching rests, we often need an extra step so they’re not completely ignored by beginning pianists.
That’s where these awesome cards come in. Each one has a different fun action students can do to “save” the rests.
I’m not exaggerating to say my students absolutely love the Rest Saver cards. In fact, on one of my student’s wish list for the new year was: “More lesson activities like Rest Savers”.
I never thought I’d have beginning piano students that enjoyed rests this much!
How to Use the Rest Saver Cards
- Put all the cards in a hat or bag.
- Ask your student to pick out one card.
- They should then play their piece using this action wherever there is a rest.
- You can also choose a particular type of rest, or even a note value to trigger the action.
- Up the challenge by using a metronome or drumbeat.
To assemble this game:
- Print out the action cards (page 3).
- Print the optional backing if desired (page 4).
- Cut the cards apart along the dotted lines.
- Laminate if desired.
Download the Rest Saver Cards
You don’t want to miss these cards – they are seriously fun. Enter your details below to grab them before you forget!
Beginner Rests Flipped Learning Video
In these videos, I teach students about the first three rest values (USA and UK term versions below). Feel free to send these videos to parents for their kids to watch, use it in group lessons or as part of lab time.
These videos are designed to be clear and concise so that students can watch them – and then get on with some writing work for reinforcement. Saving you time to do fun activities during the lesson time.
More Flipped Thinking Theory
If you liked this music theory video, you might also like these others:
- Flipped Basic Note Values
- Flipped Beginning Solfa
- Flip and Gameify Landmark Notes
- Flipped Time Signatures
- Flipped Note & Rest Values
- Flipped Dynamics
- Flipped Accidentals, Tones & Semitones
- Flipped Articulation Marks
- Flipped C and G Major Scales
- Flipped Tempo Marks
- Flipped Ledger Line Landmark Notes
- Flipped Intermediate Note Values
- Flipped Note Stem Rules
- Flipped Solfa Scale Singing
- Flipped D & F Major Scales
- Flipped Note Grouping/Beaming
- Flipped Expression Marks
Do you have trouble teaching rests?
Or just saving the rests? Share your thoughts in the Vibrant Music Studio Teachers community on Facebook or in the comments below.