What if I can’t attend a lesson?
If you’re unable to attend a lesson, you don’t have to miss out completely. There are still a couple of options you can use in place of a regular lesson that week.
This is the best option if you or your child is still available at the scheduled time, but just can’t make it to the teacher’s studio. For example if you are having issues with transport, have another child sick at home, or your child has something contagious but is still feeling well enough to play piano.
If you would like to use this option here’s the steps to take:
- Contact your teacher and let them know you would prefer an online lesson that week, and whether Skype or Facetime would be more convenient for you.
- Send your teacher your Skype/Facetime information so they can set it up.
- At the regularly scheduled lesson time your teacher will call you over Skype/Facetime and the lesson will proceed pretty much as usual from there.
It’s a good idea for a parent/carer to be on hand for children to help them follow the teacher’s instructions, and to hold up the camera when needed. If your device has a wired internet connection this is usually more stable than wifi, but it’s not required.
Video Feedback Lesson
This is the best option if you will be busy at the appointed lesson time. It’s a great choice to still allow you or your child to continue to move forward and not stagnate their practice for the extra week.
Here’s the steps to take for a Video Feedback Lesson:
- Let your teacher know you would like this option for this week’s lesson.
- Record one or more videos of the current assignments. It’s up to you if you record all or just some of the assignments. Try to choose ones that either need help, or you think are finished and ready to be passed off.
- Upload the videos to YouTube, Vimeo, Dropbox or Google Drive. If you are using the Practicia app you can record the videos there instead.
- At least 24 hours prior to the lesson time email your teacher with a link to the video files.
- During the scheduled lesson your teacher will review the videos and either write or video comments back to you with instructions on practice for the next week.