Have any of your students gone a huge step backwards over the summer? A piano game is a great way to bring students up to speed.
Most of the time the knowledge is still there. It just has to be brought up out of the archives. 😉
The game I’m sharing with you today provides a review of a broad range of level 1 or beginner piano concepts. That way you can see what’s been forgotten and really hone in on particular areas if necessary.
You may be thinking that the leaves in this game look a bit green for autumn leaves!
That’s because this is actually level 1 from a multi-level game that’s available to members of Vibrant Music Teaching. Each level is a little bit browner/redder/oranger than the last.
If you’re not a member you can find out more and sign-up on this page.
How to Play
- Spread the cards out in a loose pile in the centre of the players. If playing with different levels of students together, make one pile for each level.
- Players take turns to draw a card and name or explain the symbol on the back.
- If they are correct they add the card to another player’s leaf pile. (Place it beside/in front of the other player.)
- If they are incorrect they add the card to their own leaf pile. (Place it beside/in front of themselves.)
- If they draw a rake card they get to dump all their cards on another player’s pile.
- Continue until all the cards are gone or the time is up.
- The winner is the one with the least cards at the end.
To assemble this game:
- Print out the game cards (pages 3-18).
- Cut apart along the dotted lines and laminate if desired.
- You don’t need to print every level of game cards, only the level you want to use. If you want to play with a big group all at the same level, you may wish to print multiple copies of one level of the cards.
Grab the Free Game
Subscribe to the newsletter and get the Don't Leaf Me! game
Enter your details to subscribe to the newsletter for piano teachers with information, tips and offers.
I hate spam as much as you do! I will only send you emails related directly to piano teaching and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Vibrant Music Teaching members can get access to the full game here. If you’re not a member you can find out more and sign-up on this page.
Have any of your students forgotten a lot over the summer?
How do you plan to “remind” them? Are you using piano games like me?